Foreigners are allowed to obtain an Indonesian driver's license or SIM (Surat Izin Mengemudi). Most employers are willing to assist you by obtaining the services of an agent. This agent may be employed by your company or work for an independent service bureau 'Biro Jasa'. In the latter case, they add an additional fee onto the actual cost of making the license to cover their services. An additional fee of 100++% is not uncommon. This agent knows the procedures and can help you complete the paperwork quickly. The applicant is only required to meet the agent at the Department of Motor Vehicles for their photograph, fingerprints and signature.
If an expat wants to apply for a driver's license in person, without the assistance of an agent, it is not a very difficult procedure and relatively efficient. Assuming that the applicant is in possession of all the necessary documents, the entire procedure should not take more than one or two hours, depending on the number of applicants that day.
The best time to apply for a driver's license is as early in the morning as possible, Monday through Thursday. The office tends to be busier at the beginning of the month, as opposed to the middle or the end of the month. The worst times to go are on Fridays just before noon, when all the employees take a longer lunch break to go to Friday prayers at the mosque, as well as right before closing time on any day.
Procedure to Make a Driver's License in Jakarta
Go to the Department of Motor Vehicles, which is responsible for issuing driver's licenses for residents of Jakarta, Tangerang, Depok and Bekasi:
Satuan Pernibitan Administrasi SIM (SAT) - PAS Polda Metro Jaya
Jl. Daan Mogot Km. 11
Hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday, 8:00-12:00 on Saturdays
Note: If your application is received before 12:00, it will be completed that day. Applications submitted between 12:00 and 1:00 will be accepted and processing will begin, but the license will have to be picked up the following day. The office stops accepting new applications after 1:00 pm, but continues to process the applications submitted earlier that day - until 4:00 pm.
You will need to bring:
• Original passport
• Original KITAS (Temporary Stay Permit) card
• Valid Indonesian driver's license, foreign driver's license or international driver's license (as applicable)
• Photocopies of the identity and valid visa pages in your passport
• Photocopy of your KITAS card
• Photocopy of your current driver's license
Go to the front of the building and purchase 'Tanda Pembayaran Permohonan Pembuatan Surat Ijin Mengemudi' slip from either of the two bank offices on the premises, Bank Rakyat Indonesia or Bank International Indonesia, for Rp 75,000. This slip represents the payment of the official fee.
Present this 'bank slip' at the adjoining booth and you will receive a copy of the application form (Surat Permohonan SIM).
Complete this form, which is only available in Bahasa Indonesia, and proceed to the foreigners window, No. 17 (Loket Orang Asing). You will be required to give:
• photocopies of your passport
• photocopy of your KITAS card
• photocopy of your valid driver's license
• bank slip
• completed application form
• additional payment in accordance with the following:
• If you possess a valid driver's license from your home country, the additional fee will be Rp 80,000.
• If you posses an international driver's license, the additional fee will be Rp 70,000.
• If you are applying for a new license without a valid license of any kind with you, the additional fee will be Rp 100,000. It is not usually required that you take a written test or driving test.
• If you are extending a valid Indonesian driver's license, the additional fee will be Rp 20,000.
• If you are extending an expired Indonesian driver's license, the additional fee will be Rp 40,000.
See more information on the next page... (next)